Saturday, June 19, 2010

Book Review: Glass Houses

Title: Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires #1)
Author: Rachel Caine
Publisher: NAL
Page total: 248 pages
Date read: May 19th, 2010
Genre(s): Young Adult; Vampires

Reviewed by Ginny

On the day Claire became a member of the Glass House, somebody stole her laundry.

Claire, a sixteen year old attending a small college in Morganville, is new in the town. (She wanted to go universities like Yale or Caltech, but her parents won’t let her for she’s too young.) Although she’s smart -she’s gotten into high school a year earlier than everyone else and left a year ahead of them- but what she doesn’t know is that Morganville is a city full of vampires. The humans that live there either have a Protection or they must live in constant fear. When Claire can’t stand being beaten up by this snobby girl Monica anymore, she decides to live (illegally) off-campus and looks for a room to rent - and lands in Glass House, owned by Michael Glass who has two other roommates in his house, Eve and Shane. But if Claire thinks moving into a house where she doesn’t have to face Monica every day will bring peace to her life, she’s mistaken.
Glass Houses, the first book in this famous series, contained a lot of action, humor and mystery. I couldn’t put the book down until I finished it, and because it has a very mean cliffhanger at the end, I couldn’t stand not knowing what happens next, so I just grabbed the second book and read on.
Although she certainly has the brain, Claire is not very good when it comes to making the right decision and is very stubborn. But I guess every good action book needs a trouble maker, and if it’s the heroine, why not? Other characters featured in this book - well, I liked Shane, though he has "secrets" of his own. (Damn, he’s really hot!) Eve is kind of crazy, but not bad-crazy, just hyper-crazy. And Michael... Well, find out about that on your own. There is nothing much I can say about this book, because it's the kind of book where you can't predict what is going to happen. If you can tolerate vampire novels, I’d suggest you to give it a go.

4 Kisses!






Quotes:

‘“Run first,” Shane said. “Mourn later.”
It was the perfect motto for Morganville.’

“How did you get on Monica’s----”
“Shit list? You don’t have to do much, just not crawl on your belly every time she walks in a room. What’d you do?”
“I, uh, made her look stupid.”
“You what?”
“Well, she said this thing about World War Two being about the Chinese, and---”
Shane laughed. “You’re feistier than you look, C.”

“You can’t go to my
class with me!”
“Hey, you’re welcome to knock me out and stop me, but until you do, I’m your date for the day. So. What classes?”
“Calculus 2, Physics of Sound, Chemistry 3, chem lab, and Biochemistry.”
“Holy crap. You really
are smart. Right, I’ll take some comics or something. Maybe my iPod.”

‘“Hell,” Shane spit in disgust. “I can’t hit a girl. Here, Claire.
You hit her.”’

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

great review and awesome quotes - i have to read this

Zakiya LadyWings said...

Same here. I really loved the book review Gin! :)

Jen (@ Jens Book Closet) said...

Ginny, I loved this review. I've heard about the Morganville Vampires often, but I've never read up to see what they are about. I am so adding this to my TBR. Actually, I think I'm going to see if the library has it in!

Ginny said...

Thanks!!! It really makes me happy!
I was kinda worried if I picked good quotes - because they kind of attract people, don't you think? If I'm not sure whether I should read this book or not, I always look at the quotes.
So I hope I picked the right ones this time!

Anonymous said...

you definitely did!

Anonymous said...

especially the (i was going to say the 2nd and the 3rd but i just noticed i really like them all lol)

Jen (@ Jens Book Closet) said...

Good news, they have my copy on hold at the library. :D

Ginny said...

lol for Leonor and yay for Jen!

Black Disaster Fairy said...

I'm one of those people who looks at good quotes. I have not read this book yet but is on my TBR list. Thanks for the review.

Mount TBR is going to moan if I keep adding books to it like I have been. *LOL*

Anonymous said...

lol!

Post a Comment

We love comments and we read each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...