Well, it must be somewhat true, because that little one person group grew to contain more than 500 members. Now the literature class has ended, but the group continues on with members joining regularly. This would be what pressed us to expand past the walls of our Goodreads.com book group. We wanted to share everything we have learned and everything we love about our books and now our group with everyone. Our hope is to expand the group to different nations all over the world (right now we have members in the US and parts of Europe). We hope to stand against the illiteracy that is so prominent all over the world by bringing a love of reading and a place to discuss that love to all.
- There are approximately one billion nonliterate adults (persons 15 years old and above) in the world today.
- Ninety-eight percent of all nonliterates are in developing nations.
- Two-thirds of all nonliterates are women.
- One-half of all nonliterates are in India and China.
- It is estimated that 30-50 million people are added each year to the numbers of nonliterates.
- Twenty-seven percent of all adults are nonliterate.
- Africa, as a continent, has a literacy rate of less than 50 percent.
- Worldwide, the percentage of adult illiteracy is declining, but the absolute number of nonliterates is increasing.
- In the poorer nations, population growth is believed to be a primary source of growth in the number of nonliterates.