Friday, December 31, 2010

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand and Happy New Year!



So First off Happy New Years Eve and New Years!






From all the ladies here at For the Love of Reading happy New Years! So while we're all waiting for 12:00Am and that big ball to drop in New York I have a review on an amazing book! But first a little new years talk. I don't know about you but I am so excited for all the books that are coming out this 2011. I already have over 200 on my to read pile, and I'm sure there are tons more I'll be adding throughout the year! I have so many that I'm so excited for that I can hardly wait, which brings me to Unearthly by Cynthia Hand! Now really quick one of my new years resolutions, yes a have more than one, is to talk less and get to the point. I am an avid talker I can talk on and on, and some of you have probably noticed this in my reviews. So I'm trying to make them shorter, but bear with me it's going to be a tough habit to break. (See how it took me a while to explain all that) So without further adieu the review you all are really here for!





Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Published By Harper Teen 2011
Pages 448
Genres: Adventure, Angels, Romance, YA
Reviewed by Kate

When Clara Gardner learns she's part angel, her entire life changes. She understands now why she's smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but she also has a purpose, a specific task she was put on this earth to accomplish-one that reveals itself in pieces and involves a mysterious boy, a deadly fire, and a crushing grief. Confused by her impending future, Clara tries to find her way in a world filled with unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make.

First I want to say thank you so much to Cynthia Hand and Melissa Bruno for sending me a copy to review! Thank you both so much!

I loved this book! Everyone mark your calendars for this up-coming January 4th! I mean seriously run to the bookstore, drop everything work, school, heck, get to the bookstore before it opens and start reading this book during work school or whatever else occupies your days. This was such an amazing book it will have you reading into the night way past your bedtime, as well as way past what you thought you were sitting down for. Okay so you probably want to know why this book was so awesome, we I'll tell you!

The first thing I thought about this book was it was so fresh, I still can't put my finger on why, since it was just the beginning but it felt different from all the other books I've read lately. Maybe it's the new scenery, Wyoming, who would have thought right? I love books that don't take place in the big states, or even cities for that matter. Not that I wouldn't love to visit California or New York but I've read so many books that take place in the big cities there. I think it's nice to have a completely new state and city to learn about. Wyoming didn't disappoint. In fact, our family is taking a vacation to who knows where yet, this summer, and I know where I want to go. Just give me Tucker and I'm set to go!

Hand wrote amazing characters! They were finally high school characters in high school! Lately it seems like there are so many characters in high school going on to their 50th anniversary with their love. Okay so I'm pretty sure that's a little exaggerated. But I think we need more characters that are "high schoolers in high school" and Hand did it! She also made the characters so relate able, I really felt like I was in the story at points with these characters, I felt their emotions and related to them easily. I love stories that pull me in like that, another point for Hand! Clara, the main character, reminded me of my best friend. She's so easy to like and even though she's supposed to be pretty much perfect, from her angel side, Hand gave her some flaws that made her human and likable. And she wasn't trying to be perfect! Clara dealt with so many things that normal teens do, pleasing your parents, relationships, both boyfriend girlfriend and friendships, along with heartbreak and just trying to do your best. I immediately connected with Clara and she will stay with my forever, as will many of the other characters. So I could talk on and on about the boys, friends, and family, and boys again, so I'll try to make it short. The characters were phenomenal! From Clara's brother Jeffery to Tucker the hot hunk of a cowboy, swoon. I'm in love. They were all so well written in their parts that I felt apart of their lives.

Of course an amazing story cannot come without some action and adventure, and I always like a little love on the side. The plot was so good keeping me turning the pages well into the night, I actually stopped myself a few times so I could draw out the story longer. The whole book felt so fresh and real to me, it completely had me drawn in, and I loved it! It's not new news that I love angels and this was an amazing new world of angels. I love all that's involved but still have so many questions and can't wait to continue the series and figure it all out. I also am in love with all the different sports and activities mentioned! Usually in books you have the cheerleader and football guys, or the bad boys who have other bad boy hobbies with the plain girl not having much interest in anything. Skiing, fly fishing, hiking, rafting, and swinging off trees into super fast rivers, oh my gosh I almost forgot horseback riding, my personal favorite, are just some of the things Clara experiences, and hopefully I will too with Tucker as my guide for everything! It was so great to read about all these activities and it makes me want to get out there and try them all! I actually really just want to live in this book and have it as my life! It was the perfect read there are no complaints from me. I knew it would be good but this book passed my expectations a hundred times over. I'm predicting this is going to be one of the best books in 2011! I know it's one of my all-time-favorite books ever!

Ok so not so short but I'll probably edit it tomorrow. Happy 2011 everyone!

Definitly five Kisses!

1 comments:

Books for Company said...

I am so excited to read this next now after this review!
Thanks
New follower =)

Post a Comment

We love comments and we read each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...