Sunday, November 7, 2010

I AM NUMBER FOUR by Pittacus Lore

___________

___________
___________
(this is the movie trailer, which comes in 2011)
___________


Book Name:
I AM NUMBER FOUR
Author/s: Pittacus Lore (Pseudonym for James Frey and Jobie Hughes)
Language English
Publisher, year: HarperCollins 2010
Page total: 440
Date Read: October 30th-31st 2010
Genre/s: YA, Si-Fi, Aliens, Romance, Action
Synopsis/Description:
Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.
First line of Book:The door starts shaking.

Review:Do you know why I read this book? Catchy title.
And...

I'm a sucker for aliens.

Really. So I couldn't resist getting this book right away when I found out about it. The premise is spectacular and it sounded freaking awesome!

But I was quite disappointed. It was pretty boring, even (read: especially) on the action-packed part, the part we're supposed to love and read without being able to avert our eyes from the pages.
But the opposite happened. I was so. Damn. Bored. That is NOT supposed to happen!

Four (aka John) is a likable character, even though he sounded too...human. He's an alien, should he think like that? And why did he fall for a human girl? I liked her, but I'm sick of half-bloods (except Riordan's), hybrids and half-somethings. Ugh.
His Legacies were awesome though. And the Chest. And anything remotely Loric.
And Henri. Gosh i liked Henri. He was so sweet and protective and fatherly.

The writing is pretty good, easy to read and - have I said the whole concept is amazing? Because it is.

Anyway, if you like aliens and don't mind some slow pacing and lack of action (in the first half of the book NOTHING happens), this is the book for you.
Rating: 3/5
BLUE STARBLUE STARBLUE STAR
Quotes from book:
"When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope."

"I am an alien, I have extraordinary powers, with more to come, and I can do things that no human would dream of, but I still look like a fool."

"Those things that are the most obvious are the very things we've most likely to overlook."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never read anything with Aliens but I desperately want to check this book out even though I've heard just okay things about it. Whoever composed the official summary is a genius that's for sure. Talk about catching the reader's attention.

Sugar and Snark said...

Reading this book atm, will have to come back and compare notes :)

Post a Comment

We love comments and we read each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...