Friday, November 26, 2010

The Amaranth Enchantment


The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry
Published by Bloomsbury
Pages 306
Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, and Romance
Reviewed by Kate

When Lucinda Chapdelaine was a small child, her parents left for the royal ball and never returned. Ever since, Lucinda has been stuck in perpetual servitude at her evil aunt’s jewelry store.
Then, on the very same day, a mysterious visitor and an even more bizarre piece of jewelry both enter the shop, setting in motion a string of twists and turns that will forever alter Lucinda’s path.
In this magical story filled with delightful surprises, Lucinda will dance at the royal ball, fall under the Amaranth Witch’s spell, avenge her parents’ death, and maybe — just maybe — capture the heart of a prince.


I love fairy tales, and there are an abundance of them in the world today. Most of these fairy tales are very old and have been told through hundreds of years. I love those fairy tales but I am also really excited when someone writes a new fairytale. The Amaranth Echanment is a new fairytale that has been written in our lifetime, you don't see many of those do you? So I was really excited when I found out about it! I couldn't wait to read it.

This book offered everything that fairy tales are supposed to, a main character that is in a bad situation, a prince, some magic of course, and a big adventure that ties it all together. I really liked this book. It was everything I hoped for and a little more. While it does follow the fairytale "etiquette" it is a whole new fairytale, not just a retelling or a kind of copy of another fairytale. It really is it's own original version. This book was full of adventure from almost the begining. Lucinda is living with her Aunt in a jewlery store and in comes the piece of jewlery that will change her life forever. That night a theif comes into her bedroom and the story gets started. The story was full of action and had me guessing for a while what was going on and who was behind it all. There was never a dull a moment and when you think something might be over, this story surprises you with another twist. I have not read any of Berry's other books but it seems that she has a natural storytelling ability for fairy tales. I definitly recomend this book. Who knows, maybe one day it will be turned into a disney movie!

4.5 Kisses!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry dear. I have not heard of this one. But wow it looks like I am missing out on something.

Until next time.
Mad Scientist

Jen (@ Jens Book Closet) said...

I do love fairy tales. And you are right, they don't come out with that many new ones. Lately it has been the retellings, which by the way, are really fun too. Alex Finn is becoming a favorite of mine. Although, that has nothing to do with this review. LOL, sorry. I can ramble with the best of them. It's like an ongoing joke around my family. (and yet I keep going even now).

Excellent job Kate, I'm going to add this to my TBR!

Jen

Post a Comment

We love comments and we read each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...