Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Carrie Diaries - Book Review



The Carrie Diaries
By:
Candace Bushnell
Publisher: Balzar + Bray, 2010
Pages: 389, Hardcover
Rating: 5
Book Cover Rating: 1
Read: May 30, 2010
Genre: Young Adult, Chick - Lit, Coming of Age

First Line: They say a lot can happen in a Summer.

Review: Shocked!!

I have never been a huge Sex and The City fan. I only watched the shows when there was nothing better on (which was few and far between because I'm a History/Dicovery channel person). I also have not read the book, any of her books. Needless to say, that my own personal gravity did not pull me towards this book. I picked it up becase it was voted as a group read for the Chic Lit and other Fiction group on GoodReads.

Shoe and purse obessed, Carrie Bradshaw is not the main character. You must rewind to the awkard years of High school and you get Bradley. Carrie as a dorky teenager? I know! Who would of thought? This book is about Bradley and her friends (Maggie, Walt, The Mouse, & Lali) who are trying to survive their senior year while preparing for their futures. Young Carrie wants to become a writer although she is not exactly sure about how to go about making this dream turn into reality.

Bushnell added many HS plot twists, excuse me, dramas that were either a ton of fun or serious realistic teen problems. Sex, betrayal, friendship, senior legacy, coming out of the closet, cliques, rebel siblings and you know... All the typical everyday stuff that we run into. This book also touches drugs, alcohol, cussing, smoking. Just a warning. :)

This book is meant to be a prequel. I think it was defiantely well written. You get more of a sense of who Carrie was and an idea about why she became a writer. Bushnell also gives you a glimpse of her developing into a young woman. We meet her over protective father. She shares memories of her mother. Oh, an life with her sisters was fun to read about. I laughed and smiled through the fights. Although, I was shaking my head when conflict had her fighting with a friend. It is good to know who your real friends are!

Of course, there is a boy! Carrie falls for a bad boy who ends up making Bradley do some personal searching to figure out what she wants in a guy. Is she going to sacrifice who she is for what he wants her to be?

I was totally blown away by this novel. Even more so by the ending. I was nearly exploding with wonder by the time I hit the end. I couldn't read fast enough. I was NOT let down at all. It was a perfect close to the book and opening for Sex and the City. One phone call changed Carrie's life. I wish I could tell you more! But I can tell you this... You will NOT be disappointed!

Rating:



I'm leaving you with this quote that has stuck with me!

"That, my dear, is because you are a classic narcissist."


5 comments:

Alison Can Read said...

I've wondered about this book. I'm not a fan of Sex and the City but I do like a good chick lit now and then. I should check it out.
Alison Can Read

Midnyte Reader said...

Wow, who would have thought? This sounds great, although I'm not a fan of Sex and the City either.

Anonymous said...

this is a great review lyss! Im not a S&C fan but this sounds like a lot of fun!

Mary Grace said...

Dropping by via the hop. Nice review btw. Actually added this book yesterday for my to buy list. After reading your review, would definitely buy this one. :)

Black Disaster Fairy said...

This book was def worth the hardcover price. I loved all of the book. I should also mention again that I'm not a huge fan of Sex and the City but there was just something about this book. I loved the Pre-Carrie. Wonderfully written as well.

Let me know what you feel about the book if you get to it. :)

Post a Comment

We love comments and we read each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...