Saturday, August 28, 2010

Book Review: The Bermudez Triangle


Title: The Bermudez Triangle
Author: Maureen Johnson
Publisher: Razorbill (division of Penguin Group), 2004
Page total: 370 pages
Date read: March 7th, 2010
Genre: Young Adult

Reviewed by Ginny


The host stood at his podium under the pink-and-yellow neon arch and surveyed the three girls who had just come through the door. Avery Dekker stepped forward and gave him a huge smile.
“Bermudez,” she said. “Two o’clock birthday party.”
He looked Avery over, taking in her fishing hat and her For Good Luck, Rub My Belly T-shirt. His eyes passed to the two girls standing behind her. First they settled on the petite, pale redhead in a denim skirt and a pink tank top [=Mel]. Then they fell on the tall, cocoa-colored girl in a read summer dress and matching flip-flops [=Nina].


Do you know the feeling that with every time you reread a book, it just gets better and better? When I first read The Bermudez Triangle, it was better than I thought it’d be. The next time I read it, it was better than I remembered, yet not good enough to give 5 stars. But I absolutely fell in love with the book after reading the book for third time. I don’t know why; it’s just that good.

Nina Bermudez, Avery Dekker and Melanie (a.k.a. Mel) Forrest have been best friends for years. In the summer before their senior year, Nina decides to go to the summer college program at Stanford for 10 weeks, which causes their first big separation. How much can happen in 10 weeks?
Plenty, it seems. Nina finds herself blinded by Steve, the adorable hard-core environmentalist from Oregon and a third-generation hippie. When the Stanford program ends, she’s sad to be separated from Steve, but is looking forward seeing her friends again. But why do they seem to avoid her? Nina finds out why when she discovers that while she was gone, Mel, shy, sweet Mel, had her first real kiss. With Avery.

What I really liked about this book is a) the plot and b) the characters.
Although many people say they are totally cool with someone being gay, some of them still find it uncomfortable if two men/women kiss each other in front of them. And of course there are also people who think it’s wrong, wrong, wrong to be gay. (Some say it’s a sin.) So I figured it’s a pretty serious problem. When I first heard of this book, I thought it’d be too serious to enjoy. But it’s not. It does deal with serious problems, but it’s also a cute read. It’s more about a girl finding her true identity by coming out as a lesbian, what problems she has to deal with and how the society reacts to this.
Now, the characters. Wow, I love them. Each member of the Bermudez Triangle has her own character with some uniqueness to show off. Plus, the book is told from third-person viewpoints, but the point of view shifts between Nina, Avery and Mel, so you get to know every character.

I would recommend this book to anyone as a funny beach read - my cover is even waterproof and it says: “Go ahead - SPLASH around all you want! SMEAR on the sunscreen. Sit near the POOL. This waterproof cover can resist even the most towel-drenching BELLY FLOPS!







Quotes:
"They're really good," Mel said, nodding at the band.
"No, they aren't," Avery said. "It sounds like someone's screaming bad poetry over a lawn mower."
"Then why do you watch them play?"
"Sometimes you have to look the other way when it comes to your friends," Avery said with a shrug. "Even if it makes your ears bleed."
"You should play with them. They'd be great then."
"I would kill them."


Like she [Mel] could hide anything from Avery anyway. Avery had sixth and seventh and eighth senses and could tell more from the way someone stood or said "see you later" than Mel could if she stole the person's diary and read it cover to cover.

What were the chances that both of my best friends would be gay?
This was a good point. After all, didn't that say something about her? And she was part of a triangle. Hello!
She was so gay.
No, she wasn't. She had a boyfriend. She was writing to him now to get advice about her gay friends.


"I always do this," he said. "I like girls I can't have. It's like the number one thing I look for-total unavailability. I liked Mel, even though I was pretty sure she was gay. I liked you [Nina], and you had a super-serious boyfriend. I'm thinking that maybe next time I'll look for someone in who's in jail or a coma. One for the shrink, I guess."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that book sounds interesting and fun! Your reviews have got better and better and those who agree with me (many people, i hope) will prove that by saying...great review Ginny!

Ginny said...

Wow, thaaaank you, Leo! You know it means quite a lot to me, right? I appreciate it. You don't know how much!

Anonymous said...

thanks! now Im blushing-well not really because im too dark but if i could Id be blushing ;P.and I forgot to say that everytime I read the “Go ahead - SPLASH around all you want! SMEAR on the sunscreen. Sit near the POOL. This waterproof cover can resist even the most towel-drenching BELLY FLOPS!” I laugh out loud

Black Disaster Fairy said...

I've never heard of this book. I'm going to look around and see if it is at the library.

Great review.

Post a Comment

We love comments and we read each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...