Sunday, July 25, 2010

Book Review: The Giver


Book Name: The Giver: O Dador de Memórias
Author/s: Lois Lowry
Language Portuguese
Original Title: The Giver
Publisher, year: Everest Editora 2010
Page total: 240
Date Read: July 18th
Genre/s: YA, future,sci-fi, fiction
First line of Book:"It was almost December and Jonas was beginning to be frightened."
Review: Jonas lives in a so-called utopian society where everything is decided by the Elders. At the age of 12, every boy and girl get a career assignment. Jonas is about to get his.
In the Ceremony, Jonas becomes the new Receiver of Memories. The Giver will now pass him all memories, goodor bad, that have ever existed. Now, Jonas realizes this utopian world may not be as perfect as he thought.

This was enough to convince me: I love Lois Lowry!!! It was such an easy read and, well, I'm going to re-read it for sure!
It's a very interesting utopian/dystopian world because it depends on your perspective. Okay, so there are no wars, no one starves and no more killings but where re the colors, the music, all those little things that make life worth living?
Rating: 5/5

Quotes from book:
"The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared."

6 comments:

Chelle said...

I loved this book, too!

Ginny said...

Wow, when I first saw this book on goodreads, I thought it'd be boring (I thought it was some kind of classic-like :p) but after reading your review, I must immediately add it to my TBR list!!

Anonymous said...

wow thanks

Katie said...

I love this book, but wow, what an interesting cover. I haven't seen this before. oh and make sure you try the other two books in the series, Gathering Blue and The messanger, both just as good : )

Katie

Anonymous said...

yes, i cant wait

Suko said...

I loved this book as well. I also recommend Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.

Post a Comment

We love comments and we read each and every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...